DAY 2: Adventures in Moving a (my) College Student!

The Adventure continues!


MC’s Bedroom as it looked on moving day…with nary a box in sight, or packed!
As I shared with you in yesterday’s post, our daughter had fulfilled just one my preparatory requests: She had made an early appointment with a handyman to help us put her room back into sub-par condition.

Very good! I thought.

However, if you know me, or my daughter, then you must know we’re not morning people.

My wife thinks that we’re just downright rude!

We’re just not Type A’s; the happy as heck types who wake up happy, and stay happy!

We do get happy during the day, we just don’t start out that way.

So, wary of oversleeping, I telephoned the front desk for an 8:00 A.M wake-up call.

It seemed like no sooner than I got my pillow just right when the telephone rang. I look at the alarm clock, it was exactly 8:00 A.M.

“Hello”, I grumbled into the receiver.

“Good morning Mr. Thompson! This is the front desk, and this is your 8:00 A.M. wake-up call!” said a voice that seemed just happy as hell, on the other end of the phone.

“It’s 63 degrees and sunny, with a high expected to reach 72”. He continued.

“Mr. Thompson, is there anything else I can do for you this morning?”, said the human alarm cum weatherman.

“NO!” I answered, slightly annoyed about all of his chatter.

“Very well Mr. Thompson, thank you so much!”
I hung up the telephone. Thanks for what? I mumbled to myself.
MC was sound asleep on the Sleeper Sofa, exhausted from her final exams I figured, so I thought I would let her sleep for a few more minutes, so I rolled over to rest my eyes for a few more minutes, too.
I don’t know what woke me, but when I realized I’d over slept, terror shot through my veins! It was 9:20 A.M.
Oh my gosh, we’re supposed to meet the handyman twenty minutes ago

“MC, get up…it’s 9:20, we’ve got to meet the handyman! I don’t want to miss the guy…do you have his phone number” I barked in rapid-fire dad-talk.

No response.

“MC! Did you hear me?” I said louder and more desperately.
“Yes! I heard you!”, she snarled, without so much as opening here eyes.

“Good! Then get up…we’ve got to get dressed… do you have his number?
“I’m hungry!” She announced.

“We don’t have time to eat, we’ve got to get going right now…like this minute!”
We brushed our teeth, threw on our clothes and were out the door in about five minutes (an absolute record for either of us).

We rushed down the brick paths around the Ping Pong Pavilion and the Croquet Court and through the lobby and out the front gates to our stylish Cube car.


Left: The Ping Pong Hut
Right: The Croquet Court

Fortunately the Niner (her house) was just a few blocks from the hotel, but by the time we arrived, there was no handyman. The guy had shown up at 9:00 A.M., and left. MC reached him but couldn’t get him to come back, so that meant that I would have to either let the management company keep our deposit, or I would have to do the conversion. Neither option sounded like a good solution to me.

We decided to use the new opening in our schedule to pick up MC’s Jetta from the repair shop (a victim of one of her Niner roommate’s), return the Cube car to the rental agency, and then pick up the U-haul van I had rented.


We spent the rest of the day delivering her furniture, dishes, boxes of stuff, etc…to different friends (obviously very good friends), and were careful not to wear out our welcome. We had so many things in so many locations that I suggested we catalog who got what, and where.

By the end of the day we had only soft goods left to deal with, i.e., mounds of clothing, which appeared more than would ever fit into her car, which MC fondly named Jetta Jane.

After dinner at a less than memorable fast food restaurant, it was back to the hotel, a hot shower and collapse into our beds.

Stay tuned for Day 3: Adventures in Moving a (my) College Student!

ONE LAST NOTE FOR TODAY: You asked who was pictured in the basketball game photo in yesterday’s post? It’s from the second round of the NCAA Division I Tournament, March 2009.

U of A Wildcats star player, Guard Nic Wise (#13), a Senior who last Spring decided to put his name in the NBA Draft, but later withdrew it in order to complete his Senior Year of College as a Wildcat.
Good move Nicky Boy!
(Photo by Marc Serota/Getty Images).

Good Night Moon

Leave a Reply